Tree house


Here’s LRN3 standing in front of one of the treehouses at Longwood Gardens.  That place was even beautiful and fun in the middle of winter.  Also, cool hat, LRN3!  Great Art courtesy of the exclusive iPhone-cam, taken in March of 2012, and part of my famous Garden and Architecture series.

Do treehouses count as architecture?  In this case, mes oui!  (Did I get that right, LRN5?)

I just spent a few moments looking at that picture up there.  How I love my children!  I’m so proud of each one for the wonderful people they are.  They all face incredible challenges every day with patience and courage.  They’re all kind, gentle, loving people.  They were all such fun little children and they’re now such wonderful adults.  If I could live my life over again, I would have each one of them be the exact people they are now.  The only thing I would change is myself.  Why, oh why wasn’t I kinder, more generous and open with my love, more accepting, and more available to them?  Learn from me, Loyal Readers.  If you do nothing else, love your children while you can.

And thank you, LRN4, for dedicating your life to them and me.  It was worth it.  Still is.  You’re a great success.

Pretty long day today.  LRN4 had her third lumbar puncture and chemo treatment today.  She needed two units of platelets ahead of it, so we spent a lot of time at the clinic.  We started at 8:45 for her blood draw.  That one only took a few minutes.  We were supposed to go back at 10:30 for the results of the blood test, but they called us about an hour early.  That’s when we found out about the platelets, of course.  The way they do it is to infuse the first unit, draw blood, send it to the lab for testing, and have you wait for the results.  When the number is still too low, they infuse you again, draw blood again, and send it to the lab again for testing.  In our case, the lab people weren’t happy with second round of blood (it was clotted or some silly thing), so they drew it again and we waited again.

The lumbar puncture was scheduled for 2:00 and we still didn’t have the final results.  As happened last time, though, they told us we could go over to radiology and the blood test results would follow.  We did and they did.  It took about half an hour to get things set up and then a few more minutes to get the job done.  Then they couldn’t find a room for her to wait in.  They finally found one and wheeled her over there.

Incidentally, when we got to the room with the beds, it was completely empty.  Why couldn’t they find her a bed?  Always something to complain about, huh?

She stayed flat in bed for a total of three hours, as ordered.  It keeps the headaches at bay, for some reason I don’t completely understand.  We got out of the clinic at 6:30 this evening.  So it was a long day.  As I mentioned before.

LRN4’s not feeling 100% tonight, sadly.  I don’t know whether it was the drugs they gave her to prepare for the infusions, the drugs they gave her to numb her back for the procedure, the chemo drugs they gave her, or just that it was a tough day.  In any case, I’m hoping she’s back up to snuff tomorrow.  In fact, let’s all hope she’s back up to snuff tomorrow.

Let’s see, what else is new?  Slow but steady progress on the app.  Very slow and not particularly steady, now that I think about it.  I’m really doubting I’ll be ready to release on August 1, which is regrettable.  Maybe things will suddenly pick up very soon, but that’s not something we should count on.  I don’t even have the basic functionality working yet and there are a ton of features I still need to add.  I need to improve both my productivity and my patience.  Neither one is looking very good right now.

Also, I’m eating way too much.  And it’s showing.  Sigh.

On the good news front, our doctor asked yesterday how many days it had been since LRN4’s transplant.  I conferred briefly with my friend Siri and discovered that yesterday was day 70!  How the time has flown by.  We’re supposed to go home at the 100 day point, assuming all goes well, of course, which it pretty much is so far, so we’re in our last month as Village People.  I’m really ready to go home.  But not until LRN4 is good and ready.  Also not until her doctor is ready for us to go.  But it better be in a month or less.

Oh, regarding yesterday’s question on the opening song of Art Good’s wonderful old Lites Out San Diego radio show.  Mr. Good has a website promoting his current syndicated show called JazzTrax.  It’s very similar to Lites Out, but aimed at a national audience.  The website also promotes a couple of annual jazz festivals he hosts in Big Bear in June and on Catalina Island in October, and there’s a contact email.  I decided to take a chance and send my question to that address.  I didn’t know who would read it, but I figured they might be able to find me an answer.  Art Good himself emailed me back with the info this morning.  What a nice thing to do for an old fan!  It turned out to be Grover Washington Jr.’s title track to 1980’s Winelight.  I bought it and have already enjoyed listening to it.

Nice poster, by the way.

And that’s about it for this week.  It’s been a pretty good one.  I’ll leave my Loyal Readers with this shocking food violence news: Nutella heist!

See you on Monday.

4 Responses to “Tree house”

  1. katie Says:

    I love you! Hope Mom feels better today than yesterday. Hugs to you both!

  2. Shannon Says:

    I agree completely with Michael about our amazing, awesome children. I’m so proud of each of them and love them more than words can say. Their dad isn’t too bad either!

  3. Paul Says:

    You are way too hard on yourself, Dad. I couldn’t possibly ask for better parents, and you guys were obviously instrumental in shaping me into the man I am today. I will forever be grateful for the many lessons I learned from both of you. And for bringing me to VA so I could meet the love of my life! What a gift! The only lesson that doesn’t always work is “when you are the dad…”. Sometimes hard to convince Melissa that I’m the dad and should be allowed to do whatever I want. I love you both deeply and forever!

  4. Paul Says:

    Also, many thanks to my supervisor, Tom McMahon, for all the cool Arizona Game & Fish Department stuff, including that awesome hat!

Leave a Reply