Edison’s bench


Here’s Thomas Edison’s workbench.  Great Art taken during my June/July visit to Michigan, in Edison’s Menlo Park laboratory, which is currently located in Greenfield Village in lovely Dearborn, and part of my famous Vacation and Workbench series.

Once again, it’s been unconscionably long since my last post. Sorry about that, Loyal Readers. I don’t know how you’ve been getting along without me.

First, an update on my mom’s condition. She’s not doing well. In fact, she is at home in hospice care and very close to the end of her life. I expect to hear it’s over at any time. I have another ticket to Detroit on Thursday. I hope she’s still with us by then. I can change plans and travel sooner if necessary. I’m truly grateful to have spent last week with her and to have been able to say goodbye and express my love for her.

Sandy and Julie are taking care of our mother 24/7 at this point. I’m also truly grateful for their dedication to do that. I just don’t think I have the wherewithal to do it, although I’m tremendously conflicted about that because I really wish I could be with my mother right now. No matter what, though, she knows I love her and am grateful for the wonderful childhood she gave me and for the things she taught me. I’ll always love her.

I’ve been in Denver since mid-day Wednesday. Andy got his tonsils taken out that morning. I didn’t find out about it until Tuesday evening, so I bought a ticket right then and got here as soon as I could. He’s doing remarkably well, although he’s in quite a lot of pain. They told him to expect the third day to be the hardest, and they were right. He was taking half-doses of his pain-killer and he has upped that to two-thirds. But the discomfort is still there and he’s just having to ride it out. He’s been quite tough and will be fine. Other than the tonsillectomy, I’m delighted to report he’s doing quite well indeed. He’s been through some hard times lately, but he’s navigating life’s difficulties like a champ.

Mark’s back in school! He’s been going for a couple weeks now. Or maybe a week. No, it’s been a couple of weeks. They started the week before Labor Day. He’s doing well, although his math class is as difficult as it could possibly be. Keep your chin up, Mark! You can do it!

Joanne and I hosted fifty people at her house on the day before Labor Day. It was quite a crowd, but it was a fun party that I think everybody enjoyed, including us. We were both glad when it was in the record books, though.

We’re going to the Bay Area tomorrow for a few days. We’ll see Katie, Cliff, and Mia on Sunday and then have a couple more days to ourselves. We’ll be staying at the WorldMark Windsor resort. Joanne’s been there before and we have high hopes for a peaceful few days. Then I’m heading to Detroit, unless plans need to be moved up.

And that’s it for tonight. I need to be up at 5:00 tomorrow morning, so I’ll leave my Loyal Readers with this exciting Morrowlife Employment Agency job opportunity: motorcycle-attacking fugitive bull!

See you on Monday.

Leave a Reply