Yellow flowers

Here are some yellow wildflowers at Big Sur. We thought they were kind of pretty.

Back on the train today, after more than six months. The drive was starting to get oppressive, so I decided over the weekend to revert. That decision was aided by the traffic disaster we were guaranteed to have today after the big overpass collapse on Sunday morning. I’m looking forward to seeing the news and finding out just how bad the traffic turned out to be.

Not much has changed train-wise. I’m writing this on the trip home, of course, and it’s more crowded this afternoon than it had been this morning – just like before. I honestly can’t figure out where all these people come from in the afternoon. Maybe their cars are all stolen during the day so they have to take the train home at night. I shudder to think how many cars these people lose over the course of an average year.

Or maybe there’s another explanation. Care to postulate, Loyal Readers? I do have a few thoughts of my own, of course.

Anyway. It’s another warm day today. The weekend was downright hot. The landscaping idiots showed up on Saturday morning to re-pour the cement. Everything seemed to be going okay (other than the fact that they promised the cement truck would arrive by 8:00 but it didn’t come until 1:00 and I had commitments that had to be cancelled or worked around to accommodate the idiots) until the truck arrived. The driver announced he wouldn’t release any cement until it was paid for. The landscape idiots had the unbelievable gall to try to get me to pay for it! That was, of course, outrageously non-contractual in nature, and I quite hotly refused to pay. After arguing with me for quite a while, claiming we had agreed to pay for the cement redo(!), they finally angrily left to get the money. While they were gone, the cement truck driver told me he knows these people and they always try to pull that on their customers. What a mistake it was to hire these idiots. And then we found out they have no idea how to make salt finish cement. So now we have broom finish.

Anyway. The cement seems to look okay. I’ll have a closer look when I get home this evening and we still need to see if it drains properly, but it will probably work out.

The baptism went well on Saturday. It needed to be postponed from 2:00 to 3:30 to accommodate the presiding officer. Lots of people showed up anyway (mostly out-of-town family of the new members) and it was a nice meeting. The mission president came too, which was a pleasant surprise.

Let’s see, what else is going on? Sunday was busy. Too busy. WAY too busy. Meetings, meetings, meetings. Not a day of rest for me, unfortunately. We got lots of things done, and there was certainly nothing unappropriate, but it was just too much. We got home at about 8:30ish and I crashed. Feeling much better today, thanks.

Got the battery replaced in the Sable on Saturday morning. It was a noneventful activity. Loyal Reader Number Two helped me work on it, along with some investigative work on the Miata’s cooling system. He was extremely helpful and it was really nice to do a little work together.

Loyal Reader Number One went to a “recital audition” on Sunday afternoon. He felt like his piece went very well, and that feeling was confirmed when he was notified on Sunday evening that he’s been selected for the actual recital next week. Loyal Reader Number Four and I hope to be able to attend that recital – non-participants weren’t invited to the audition. Congrats to LRN1!

Additional congrats to LRN1 on his ACT score, which arrived over the weekend. He got a 35, which is amazingly good. We were all pleasantly surprised at how quickly they turned around his score. He only took the test a couple of weeks ago.

Well, that’s about it for tonight. See you on Tuesday.

Leave a Reply